The Easy Guide to Repairing Leather Scratches and Cracks
There are advantages to owning a quality piece. A Yukon Crazy horse leather bag is one of the best investments in a quality bag that you can make – with proper care your Yukon Crazy horse bag will easily last a lifetime.
Yukon Crazy horse leather is crafted using 100% authentic natural full-grain leather that has been imbued with natural wax and oils to create rugged water and weather-resistant leather with a beautiful patina. The Frances Backpack is a stellar example of a tough backpack with a sleek, polished look. This versatile bag is resilient enough to survive a lifetime of adventure and the rich, espresso colored leather glows with a soft burnished sheen.
The key to keeping your investment in tip-top shape is as simple as cleaning the bag when it gets dirty and repairing damage as soon as possible. In this handy-dandy easy guide, we will show you how to care for your quality leather bag.
Every Yukon Crazy Horse leather bag is crafted from the highest quality leather. This premium leather ensures that your bag has the grit to handle the toughest adventures while retaining its shape and a buttery-soft feel. The Crazy Horse Leather Backpack is a perfect example of form and function - the sturdy straps fit comfortably over the shoulders for long treks, and the rustic brown leather lends a stylish vintage vibe. Taking a few steps today to care for your bag can guarantee its durability and beauty for decades to come.
Authentic leather starts out as a living, breathing organ. Real leather works the same way as your skin does – sweat glands produce water to prevent overheating, and sebaceous glands produce oil to protect the skin by providing a barrier to lock in moisture. Leather is porous – water can seep through the pores in the leather, displacing the natural oils found between the cowhide fibers. As the water evaporates it leaves the fibers stripped of these vital oils. Loss of natural oils creates cracks in the leather. Dryness, cracks, and flaking can be prevented with a minimum of care. Full-grain leather behaves like your skin – with proper cleansing and moisturizing your Yukon authentic leather bag will last a lifetime. Scratches, bumps, and irregularities increase the natural beauty of the grain by deepening the hue and producing a striking multi-toned effect. The Avalanche Duffle Bag is a prime example. The simplicity of the design highlights the opulence of Crazy horse leather. Scrapes and scratches intensify the color-tones on the surface creating a striking rustic effect.
By taking a few steps to protect your investment, you can ensure that your Yukon leather backpack will last a lifetime. Here is the easy guide on caring for your authentic Crazy Horse leather bag:
CLEANING YOUR LEATHER BAG:
Keeping the leather free from dust, dirt, and moisture is the first step to take when caring for your bag. Every Yukon bag is built to last – take your Yukon bag on your wildest adventures! Bump it, scratch it, bang it around with no worries - just be sure to wipe off any dirt and moisture at the end of the day. The Archibald II Duffle Bag is a prime example of the perfect travel bag – roomy enough to hold all your gear, this rugged bag has an elegant design that fits in everywhere from off-roading to the office. By providing a little T.L.C. (tender, loving care) after each outing you can keep your bag in top-notch condition.
When cleaning, conditioning, or moisturizing your bag, always do a patch test before applying products to the entire surface. Certain brands may react differently - as leather is a natural, organic product it is always best to test a small area first.
Here is what you will need to clean your Crazy horse leather bag:
- A soft cloth specifically designed for use on leather.
- A leather cleaner.
- Warm water.
- A great leather conditioner.
How to clean your Crazy horse leather:
- Dampen the cloth (do not spray water directly onto the leather) and gently wipe away any dust, dirt, or moisture. Carefully wipe down the entire bag while checking for stains and any other problem areas.
- Do a patch test by applying a small amount of leather cleaner to an inconspicuous area (such as the bottom of the bag). After a successful patch test (no discoloration or issues) apply the cleanser to the entire bag paying extra attention to any stains or dirty spots. Never use dish soap, laundry soap, or any other type of detergent – always use a quality leather cleaner.
- Dip the leather cloth into warm water to dampen (cloth should be damp, not wet) and wipe off the leather cleaner. Repeat this step several times until there is no residue left from the cleaner. Always gently rub the surface of the leather – do not grind the dirt into the bag.
- Allow the bag to completely air-dry before storing. Do not try to speed up drying time by using heat (no blow-dryers, etc.). Stuffing the bag (to reform the structure) with soft cloths (old t-shirts and towels work great!) will help to retain its shape.
Another plus to owning a Yukon bag is Crazy horse leather’s unique reaction to bumps and scratches. Scratches increase the bag’s beauty by changing hue and producing a striking multi-toned effect. This reaction is exclusive to Crazy horse leather, making it the Number 1 choice for use in producing rugged, reliable bags with the elegant beauty to effortlessly fit in anywhere. Scratches add a beautiful patina to the leather, but deep scratches and cracks may need to be treated to retain your bag’s vintage beauty.
Here is what you will need to fix any scuffs, scrapes, scratches, or cracks:
- Leather conditioner.
- Leather glue.
- Clean, damp leather-cloth.
How to fix scuffs, scrapes, scratches, and cracks:
- You can repair cracks, scratches, and abrasions with leather conditioner. Clean the entire bag before applying the treatment. Gently rub extra conditioner into scratches and cracks. You may need to apply several coats of conditioner to the damaged areas.
- For deeper cracks gently bend the leather to expose the surface of the crack. Dip a toothpick into a tiny amount of leather glue (only leather glue – do not use glue that is designed for other materials) and apply to the surface of the crack or deep scratch.
- Press the edges of the crack together, flattening the leather pieces during the process. Quickly wipe away any excess glue using a damp leather-cloth.
- Allow time for the repair to air-dry. After the bag is completely dry apply another coat of leather conditioner.
Crazy horse leather is prized for both its durability and its rustic beauty. The natural wax used to treat the leather provides weather and water-resistance, and the premium quality of the 100% authentic cowhide means that the bag can take a beating while still retaining its luxurious sheen. Every Yukon bag is crafted from the highest-quality 100% authentic full-grain leather. The La Biche Tote is a stunning blend of rustic browns and rich, java-toned leather. The tonal-colored patterns of the full-grain leather guarantee that each bag is distinctly individual. With minimal care, your one-of-a-kind bag will serve you beautifully and reliably for decades to come.
Are you ready for your next adventure? When purchasing a backpack or bag consider investing in one that will last a lifetime with minimal care. Whether you are exploring the wilderness or toting a bag to work each day, you want a bag that will serve you efficiently and reliably. Crazy horse leather has been valued for centuries for its durability and striking beauty. Visit us at yukonbags.com for the best choice in fine leather bags.
Leave a comment